PDA

View Full Version : Athlon xp 2800 Temps?

NOKL
07-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Been doin abit of research, found that the critical temp for the Barton 2800 xp is around the 85 mark, but u wouldnt wanna get any where near that anyway. I'v just bought a Vantec 92ml stealth fan, for the outtake at the back of my case (Chiftec black dragon, mini). I currently have an coolermaster aero 7+ wif 2 x 80ml coolermaser fans, 1 front intake, and 1 side outtake. So the circulation should be good i would imagain...but not from the cpu teamps im reading.

Im getting around 47 mark idle, and this is worrying me because come i21 when the ambient temp will b around the 30+ mark, my comp aint gonna stand a chanse in hell of stayin cool imo? Anybody reccomed anything to help wif dropping those cpu temps e.g. different placement of fans?

Thanks

Bleak
07-07-2004, 06:33 PM
i have a 2800 xp and it runs just below 45 idle. you'll probably find it running around 60 degrees at i21 which i didn't have any problems with (turns out it was my dodgy hard disk causing my pc to crash). your fans seem ok to me, remember that athlons do run very hot anyway.

Humour
07-07-2004, 07:40 PM
m8 unless you are actually getting reliability problems I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My system Idle's at 50C with 30C Case temp, reported by MBM5.

When it is cained it goes up to 55C and have even hit 60C when it has been pretty hot. However no instability problems (apart from my shakey trigger finger) ;)

It has been like this from day one, and I have spoken to a large number of O/C mofo's who have all told me that it must be the on-board thermistor which is reporting the wrong temp.

One little tip I'll give ya is to try to lower the Vcore as much as you can without loosing stability. I have my XP2500 (not an "M" chip) curently running at 2.1Ghz @ 1.5 Vcore. To put this in perspective, it comes as standard at 1.8Ghz @1.65Vcore, so I have managed a 300Mhz increase with -0.15 volts dropped from the original setting.

My CPU temps have dropped by 5C all round with this little trick ;)

Hope this helps, and I wouldnt worry about it too much as long as you have decent airflow going through your case.

Peace

NOKL
07-07-2004, 08:21 PM
thanks 4 the advice guys, all i really am lookin for is to silence my pc and still have it running around the 40ish mark idle....but thanks anyway

Daggz
07-07-2004, 08:41 PM
athlons run hot anyway. Only way u can get around it is getting watercooling or going to pentium4. i know my system idles @ 32 and runs @ 46 full load. i just got a new zalman cooler. Runs cool and very quiet

Death
15-07-2004, 05:56 PM
My XP2800 Idles around 28-38 Depending on how hot it is.

I Seem to remember Odee had an overheating problem at I18 Once he put in on the Floor and not on the desk it ran fine. I think thats probably a good idea as it wont be sucking in all the monitor Heat.