PDA

View Full Version : Tiny?

Hellfish ®
25-09-2004, 12:02 PM
no wi know that befre they went bust tiny were a pain in the arse and even gave us the wrong mobo! but they have relaunched and i belive are a new company. Thing is for a prebuilt comp at £569 is this a good deal?

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor
Operating System - Microsoft® Windows XP Home
Memory - 512MB DDR RAM (2x 256MB)
Hard Disk - 200GB 7200 RPM ATA-100 Drive
Optical 1 - 8x Multiformat (+/-) DVD-Rewiter / DVD Copier Drive
Optical 2 - 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Graphics - 256MB ATi Radeon 9200SE Graphics with TV Out
PC-TV System - PC-TV System with Remote Control & FM Radio
Modem - Dedicated high speed Supanet optimised 56K modem*
Internet Access - Supanet Internet Access Preloaded
Network - 10/100 Ethernet Port for Home Networking
Firewire - 1394 Firewire Port
Card Reader - Multi-Format Card Reader & Writer
Sound - 6 Channel Sound Onboard
Keyboard etc. - Multimedia Keyboard & Optical Mouse
Ports etc. - 1.44MB Floppy Drive, USB2.0 Ports x4, Parallel & Standard Ports
Case - Full ATX Tower Case with Upgrade Capacity (7 Drive Bays)
Motherboard - Microstar MS6741 Micro ATX Motherboard
Software 1 - Microsoft Works Version 7
Software 2 - Microsoft Office 2003 - 60 Day Trial
Software 3 - Cyberlink Power Suites (DVD / CD Creation Software)
Model - S2430

they also have what seem to be decent deals at 799 and 899 but im mildly worried about the mobo and gfx cards basicly im a bit nooby when it comes to this stuff.

Daggz
25-09-2004, 12:07 PM
u can get a machine alot better than that for the money. that graphics card would be pretty damn useless for bf. if i was u go for a 2.8ghz p4 and get a decent heatsink and overclock it. Also go for a 9800pro. ask foots he should know what stuff to get for the money

Skumby
25-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Yeah, the graphics card is seriously limp, and for a new gaming PC now, I'd look at at least 1Gb of mem. One thing you've got to remember with these PC bundles is that anything not branded is going to be the cheapest tack that Tiny can find.

Grenage
25-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Aye mate, build it yourself and spec what you need. A little more costly but you will know what you're getting.

Desperado
25-09-2004, 11:59 PM
let me help you out (as far as I can). First let's have a look at the parts

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor ==> s754 which means no dual channel ram. Cheap processor though, but you may wanna go for a 'P-IV 3.2 northwood'
Operating System - Microsoft® Windows XP Home ==> useless, hax it somewere
Memory - 512MB DDR RAM (2x 256MB) ==> just enough for now but I recommend 2x512 (doesn't have to be the latest and greatest stuff)
Hard Disk - 200GB 7200 RPM ATA-100 Drive ==> no info on brand ect. might be a noisy fucker. Do you need 200 GB? I reccomend a SATA drive set up
Optical 1 - 8x Multiformat (+/-) DVD-Rewiter / DVD Copier Drive ==> no info on brand
Optical 2 - 16x DVD-ROM Drive ==> do you need a second one when you already have a DVD-RW
Graphics - 256MB ATi Radeon 9200SE Graphics with TV Out ==> absolute crap, nice for MS Word but for gaming it's clearly not gonna work. I recommend looking for a second hand 9800 pro (preferably in the clan itself so you can trust it's a good one) cos a lot of ppl are switching to x800's while a 9800pro is still pretty good (and very cheap compared to a X-series card) espect 60-80 quid pricing 2nd hand
PC-TV System - PC-TV System with Remote Control & FM Radio ==> why the fuck would you need that?
Modem - Dedicated high speed Supanet optimised 56K modem* ==> uhhh, just use your broadband
Internet Access - Supanet Internet Access Preloaded ===> ditto as above
Network - 10/100 Ethernet Port for Home Networking
Firewire - 1394 Firewire Port
Card Reader - Multi-Format Card Reader & Writer ===> not needed
Sound - 6 Channel Sound Onboard
Keyboard etc. - Multimedia Keyboard & Optical Mouse ==> guess you already got that
Ports etc. - 1.44MB Floppy Drive, USB2.0 Ports x4, Parallel & Standard Ports
Case - Full ATX Tower Case with Upgrade Capacity (7 Drive Bays) ==> no info about brand/type, you can assume it's a standard case bigtower
Motherboard - Microstar MS6741 Micro ATX Motherboard ==> sounds dodgy, why not a standard ATX in a full ATX case??
Software 1 - Microsoft Works Version 7 ==> hackitfromtheweb.com
Software 2 - Microsoft Office 2003 - 60 Day Trial ==> hackitfromtheweb.com
Software 3 - Cyberlink Power Suites (DVD / CD Creation Software) ==> hackitfromtheweb.com
Model - S2430 ==> ???

Summarised:
There's a lot unknown about this system, so there might be a chance they rip you off with cheap crap. There is also a lot of stuff in the system that you're not gonna use or which you can hax for free. So basically you're spending money on things you dont want. Money that could have been used on beter parts. I recommend building one yourself. For the same money you can get a better system that way. Oh, and I assume you already have a good screen since you buy a system without screen.

If you want I can selact a nice system for you, but I think Foots can do that much better and he might have a nice deal for you

Daggz
26-09-2004, 12:16 AM
nice desp, nice round up of the system :D

Hellfish ®
26-09-2004, 02:03 PM
had a feeling about those bits course as i explained last night i have certain issues when it comes to electronics ;), We will have to see i spose.