PDA

View Full Version : CPU Temp problems!

Knappster
22-12-2004, 12:57 AM
Due to the not so impressive pump in the Globalwin Silent Stream I am now left with a non working fan socket.

After removing the so called water cooling kit and replacing it with the normal Shuttle HSF, i get normal idle CPU temperatures but if I run anything taxing on the CPU it ramps upto 70 degrees, and on promply killing the application the cpu ramps straight back down to its normal 45-50 degree idle temperature.

I assumed I had installed the HSF incorrectly but I re-installed it 3 times to make sure, I thought it might be the software I was using to monitor the temps, and so I tested other software and still the same result.

The only odd thing I can see with it is that it always ramps the temp upto 70 degrees no more no less. I have no idea what is going on and I was hoping someone might have come across the same problem somewhere before.

I don't dare play any games for fear of burning my machine. Help :confused:

Daggz
22-12-2004, 04:32 PM
i had that watercooler in my shuttle it was rubbish

Andy
22-12-2004, 05:25 PM
lol daggz you are so helpful, i idolise you sometimes

|FTA|Nofear
22-12-2004, 05:27 PM
i had that watercooler in my shuttle it was rubbish

Well Daggz wins the prize for the most helpful comment of the year :banana:

Mr Footlong
22-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Leave the lad alone :P. He had a mare of time with his. Especially after all the modding work he did wedging it in.

ARKANGEL
22-12-2004, 06:19 PM
check if the heatsink is put on right way around.ie the side with the lip must be put over the same on the processor unit its an easy mistake to make,are u using a thermal paste..if not id recommend artic silver compound...how many case fans have u got?.have u got inlets and outllets,ie 2 fans drawing cool air in on bottom front of case and 2 on back of case taking it out.i myself have 9 fans!! and my cpu runs hot anyways but never more than 50 degrees at full load,u say u have re fitted the heatsink 3 times..u need to use a non alcoholic cleaning liquid to remove any trace of previous compound/heatpad residue that wpuld be left on procesor die,also when using thermal compound use a credit card to smooth it over the die and it shouldnt be thicker than the side of your credit card..hope that helps.. :moonie:ps.try taking off the side of ur case then monitor the temp using motherboard monitor 5.see if that makes any difference but 70 degrees sounds like a wrong fit or too much/too little compound...

Mr Footlong
22-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Arky, Knapp has a P4 shuttle, no socket lips that are higher than the heatslug, he also has a shuttle, so 1 outlet fan only. 45 idle on one of those is not at all uncommon, however if you have developed the slightest leak (which I think would be unlikely) in 1 or more of the heatpipes, I would expect the heat go up a fair old bit like you are seeing under load. Exactly how long does it take to go from 70 back down to normalish temps?

Knappster
22-12-2004, 08:40 PM
takes about 30 secs

Knappster
22-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Problem solved, don't worry i r n00b!!

|FTA|Nofear
22-12-2004, 11:55 PM
wHAT WAS IT KNAPP?

Knappster
23-12-2004, 12:06 AM
A small piece of plastic was lifting the heatsink off the CPU so it was only conducting heat through the silver greese, I would have noticed earlier if I had bothered to look at the under side of the heatsink and noticed that the greese wasn't uniformly spread out. :: smacks head for uber stupidity ::

|FTA|Nofear
23-12-2004, 12:08 AM
lol i'm surprised it didn't melt, so the watercooling isn't that bad then? :)

Knappster
23-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Well the pump for the watercooling was designed to be powered by the normal CPU fan socket and its blown it. I'm having to use one of the other fan sockets. I think its best to power it from the PSU directly.

Apart from that the watercooling was fine. I'll use it in some other case instead.