PDA

View Full Version : ATX v2.0 PSUs

Desperado
07-01-2005, 12:51 PM
All new decent mobos I see are with a 24 pin ATX2.0 powersocket. My (brand new) aerocool II+ 550W PSU only has a 20 pin connector. Am I screwed now?

Bonce
07-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Nah most of tme will still work with just a 20 Pin connector plugged in. Even if it doesnt you can buy adapters to convert the plug.

Desperado
07-01-2005, 02:49 PM
ah cool, but doesnt the adapter give you a disadvantage (less stability or something)

Bonce
07-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I wouldnt think so unless your PSU isnt strong enough to power the board properly, In which case the conector shouldnt make a difference. All the new connector really does is provide a few more lines onto the Mobo so the connector doesnt get hot and the resistance cause a voltage drop. However current motherboards shouldnt need this because they dont draw enough current to heat up the connector much.

|FTA|Morbid
07-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Another Un-Needed technology then? Much like pci-e :P Just the big computer companies getting you to buy the next big thing, such bs in my opinion

Desperado
07-01-2005, 04:04 PM
ok thx for the info. I have a 550W PSU with lots of amps on all the lines so that shouldn't be a problem. And if I buy a DFI lanparty I also power the board with a 4 pin connector, 1 molex and a floppy connector. Not a clue why that board needs so much power connectors btw :)

Still not sure if I should pick a DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D or the Asus A8N-E Premium nForce4 Ultra

Feel tempted to go for the Asus one just cos the DFI onelooks shite :)