Go Back   |FTA| Clan - 'Old Men Behaving Badly' > Public Forums > Computer Related

New Rig Help Please - what do I get...
Old 10-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Admin/Coffin Dodger

Send a message via ICQ to GAZ
New Rig Help Please - what do I get...

I'm looking at upgrading my current machine (not the one you built foots) and am at a complete loss on what to get as I havent kept up with the times. I want something that will play farcry 2 etc but don't want the Rolls Royce of machines either as i'm on a budget.

I've been quoted a Quad Core 6600 - is that any good or should I be looking at something else.

Gfx wise - whats best to go with. I don't want to spend more than £200 on gfx and got completely lost on what to get on overclockers.

Any help much appreciated.

Old 19-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Hi m8

I can tell you the q6600 has been a solid and very popular cpu for gamers as its easy to o/c and so you get a lot of bang for the buck. get it while u can though as it will be gone in Jan09, intel have eol'ed it.

as far a gxf cards, I do have a personal bias toward Nvidia, I can you with the new 9 series it would seem prices (at least here in the US) have really come down. I was looking at getting a couple for my new 3 way sli build and could not believe the price.

The Nvida 9800GTX+ which looks like their top card before going to the X2 (effectively 2 cards in one) is only $160! I paid over $350 for my 8800GTS so things seem to have come down a LOT! I know they also have the 260 and 280 which I dont know much about yet, I do know that by running the speed assesment plug-in from the nVidia site that the 260 is slower than my 8800GTS.

there seems to be quite a few new games coming soon that will really start taking avantage of dx10, now we just need somthing with decent game play :-)

If you are planning on running Vista Ultimate and was thinking of buying a copy for this new machine, give me a shout as I have a spare license. I got a free one from being on the beta program and a second free copy from MS as promo gift which you can have.

Well good luck building your new machine.....

Mark.

Last edited by SLUggER{UK}; 20-10-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Old 20-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Admin/Coffin Dodger

Hiya Slugger, thank you for your reply. The SAS boys were really really helpful the other day and ended up buying a pre-built system off overclockers. It worked out cheaper than buying the components and building it myself. Just arrived today and works a treat.

Spec:- Quad core Q6660, 4gb RAM, 512mb ATI 4850, 500gb hard drive, blueray dvd drive and P5Q motherboard + antec 900 case.

Old 22-10-2008, 02:45 AM

Nice, a lot less pain that way as well :-)

Let me know how your blueray works out, been thinking of taking the leap myself It is a writer as well as a player??

Hope to see you online soon, been chatting to jaz about finding a new game to play over the winter :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
Hiya Slugger, thank you for your reply. The SAS boys were really really helpful the other day and ended up buying a pre-built system off overclockers. It worked out cheaper than buying the components and building it myself. Just arrived today and works a treat.

Spec:- Quad core Q6660, 4gb RAM, 512mb ATI 4850, 500gb hard drive, blueray dvd drive and P5Q motherboard + antec 900 case.

Old 22-10-2008, 07:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Rex Hunt Send a message via MSN to Rex Hunt
Hi all, hows the new rig Gaz i've been looking to get something new for ages now was gonna go down the laptop route, but you get alot more bag for the buck going for a desktop.
Like you say some of the pre built rigs are much cheaper than building yourself and all the hastle you get with building and configering gone. How did you got on with OC.

And one last thing what sort of monitor should i go for for around £150 - £200 or less if thats possible want to hook both PC and Xbox360 up.

Cheers Daz.

Win or loose have a booze.

Old 24-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Admin/Coffin Dodger

Hi Rex - the OC rig was here in 2 days and works a treat. High quality build and the usual OC five star service.

Don't know about monitors. I'm using my existing one.

Old 13-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to JAZ Send a message via Yahoo to JAZ
rexxie baby.. get your bfv disks dusted off, we are gonna be going back to naam very soon

Old 13-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Admin/Coffin Dodger

Yeee Hawwww

Old 14-11-2008, 07:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Rex Hunt Send a message via MSN to Rex Hunt
Got a new rig ended up getting the dell xps laptop as most of the time i spend on line is just browsing the web it should handle BFV so i will bang it on later and get Xfire back on.

Win or loose have a booze.

Old 14-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to JAZ Send a message via Yahoo to JAZ
cool, will get something sorted for a couple of weeks time